Monday, February 28, 2011

Review: Pale Demon

Pale Demon by  Kim Harrison
published by Eos
Genre: Adult paranormal (I guess)
$26.99 (US hardback)
pages: 436

What it's about:
Condemned to death for black magic and shunned, Rachel Morgan has three days to somehow get to the annual witches convention in San Francisco and clear her name. If she fails, the only way she can escape death is to live in the demonic ever after . . . for ever after.

Banned from the flight lists, Rachel teams up with elven tycoon Trent Kalamack, headed for the West Coast for his own mysterious business. But Rachel isn’t the only passanger along for the ride. Can a witch, an elf, a living vampire, and a pixy in one car survive for over 2,300 miles? And that’s not counting the assassin on their tail.

A fearsome demon walks the sunlight, freed after centuries of torment to slay the innocent and devour souls. But his ultimate prey is Rachel Morgan. While the powerful witch with nerves of steel will do whatever it takes to stay alive, even embracing her own demonic nature may not be enough to save her.

My Thoughts:
I say this everytime, but it's always true: you can't go wrong with a Kim Harrison book. It's just not possible.

What always surprises me every time I read one of the Hollows books is how much character growth there is. All the characters are constantly changing and you really can't guess what is going to happen, what all the characters are going to do. I absolutely love that about these books. I love how the characters can still surprise me, even after nine books.

The characters are what really make up these books. Sure the plots are always fun, but if you don't like the characters, there is no way you are going to like the books. Then you also have all the questions of who Rachel is going to end up with if anyone at all. There are so many choices, Pierce, Al, Trent, Ivy, and maybe a character to be named. (I'm beting on Trent).

While  Pale Demon probably wasn't my favorite of the Hollows books (I couldn't name my favorite one actually) I would say it is in my top 3 favorite for the series. The plot keeps getting thicker and thicker and I can't wait to figure out how Rachel is going to get herself out of all this crap she has managed to drag herself into.

My rating: 10/10
Kim Harrison books will almost always get a 10/10 from me.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book as well. This is such an awesome series and I completely agree with you about the characters.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.