Saturday, July 31, 2010

Review: Spells

Spells by Aprilynne Pike
Published by Harper Teen
$16.99 (hardback)
Genre: YA
359 pages

FTC: I borrowed this book from a friend. I will not be compensated for reviewing this book.

What it's about:
Although Laurel has come to accept her true identity as a faerie, she refuses to turn her back on her human life--and especially her boyfriend, David--to return to the faerie world.
But when she is summoned to Avalon, Laurel's feelings for the charismatic faerie sentry Tamani are undeniable. She is forced to make a choice--a choice that could break her heart.

My thoughts:
I fell in love with the first book in this series, Wings, last summer. Since it had been a year since I read the first book in the series, I was having trouble remember exactly what happened at the end of the book. Spells throws you right into the book and doesn't do a little summary of the last book.
I was actually really disappointed in this book. I felt like most of what was going on really wasn't necessary and could have been cut in half. There really wasn't any action in the book. It was mostly Laurel fighting (and failing) to keep her feelings for Tamani under control.
One thing I love about this book is the faeries. I think they way Pike created faeries is very unique and beautiful. I love how they are actually plants, how they bloom each year and have different powers. There are no evil or dark faeries. They are simple and beautiful. If Stephenie Meyer was to write about faeries, I would see them being something like this. Pike and Meyers writing styles are very similar which is good and bad.
I plan on going on with this series, but I really hope that the next book picks up a little more and continues with the original story plot. I kinda wish that this book would have been a short story novella thing and the next book been out in its place. Kind of like Julie Kagawa did with Winters Passage.

My rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.