Saturday, July 17, 2010

Meridian


Meridian by Amber Kizer
published by Delacorte Press
$16.99 (hardback)
Genre: YA
305 pages

FTC: I borrowed this book from the library. I will not be compensated for reviewing this book.

What it's about:
Meridian has always been an outcast. It seems that wherever she goes, death and grief follow. On her sixteenth birthday, a car crashes in front of her family's home--and though she's untouched, Meridian's body explodes in pain.

Before she can fully recover, Meridian is told that she's a danger to her family and is hustled off to her great-aunt's house in Revelation, Colorado. There she learns the secret her parents have been hiding for her entire life: Meridian is a Fenestra, the half-angel, half-human link between the living and the dead.

It's crucial that Meridian learn how to transistion human souls to the afterlife--how to help people die. Only then can she help preserve the balance between good and evil on earth. But before she can do that, Meridian must come to terms with her ability, outsmart the charismatic preacher who's taken over Revelation, and maybe--if she can accept her sworn protector, Tens, for who he is--fall in love. Meridian and Tens face great danger from the Aternocti, a band of dark forces who capture vulnerable souls on the brink of death and cause chaos. But together, they have the power to outsmart evil.


My thoughts:
I thought this was a pretty good book, but not super fantastic. The plot was different and edgy and had the reader wondering what is going on.

The romance between Meridian and Tens was not the sweep you off your feet kind of romance, but it was pretty cute. They were both put in a situation they didn't want to be in and find comfort in each other. Them falling in love certainly seems to happen very fast and had me a little confused for a while until near the end when certain things were clearified.
The hardest thing for me to follow in this book was the writing. It jumped around a lot and I would have to go back a few sentences and try to figure out what I missed the first time around. This became frustrating after a while because it was a constant in the book. This is what really hurt the book the most.
Bottom line: most of the time, if a book keeps me wanting to read and I have a very hard time putting it down, it's an automatic 10/10. This book did not have me reading till all hours of the night, but I did think about it when I couldn't read it. That to me says that it is a pretty good book.
My rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.