Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Ghost and the Goth


The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade
published by Hyperion
$16.99 (hardback)
Genre: YA
281 pages
FTC: I bought this book and will not be compensated for reviewing this book.
What it's about:
The Ghost
It's not my fault that I was born with it all--good looks, silky blond hair, and a keen sense of what everyone else should not be wearing. My life isn't perfect, though, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks--could there be a worse fate? As it turns out, yes--I'm starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. To top it off, the only person who can see or hear me is Will Killian, TOTAL loser boy, and he refuses to help!
I need to get control of my afterlife, and fast, before I'm dead AND gone for good. If I can get Will to talk to me, I might have a chance. But that means trusting him with my secrets...and I don't trust anyone, living or dead.
The Goth
My mom thinks I'm crazy. My shrink wants to lock me up. Basically, my life sucks. And that was before the homecoming queen started haunting me. Alona Dare was a pain when she was alive; dead, she's even worse.
Yeah, I can see, hear, and touch ghosts. With just a few weeks of school left, all I want to do is graduate and get out of here, find some place with less spiritual interference. But with a dead cheerleader who won't leave me alone, and a violent new ghost who wants me dead...I'm screed.
Alona and I might be able to help each other...if we can stop hating each other long enough to try.
Yeah, right.
My thoughts:
I loved it!!!
I had heard lots and lots of great things about this book and I saw the cover (yes that's right, I judge books by their covers) and I knew I was going to love this book.
My 12 year old cousin read the book before I was able to get my hands on it and didn't like it. That left me a little nervous about the book. Then I started reading it and realized why she didn't like it. There are a few sexual jokes and I don't think she understood them. Then most of the story plot involved high school life and what it's like, and she didn't understand that one yet either. Me, having understood both of these, liked the book for what it was.
I loved everything about it. The writing was fantastic. Both Alona and Will had distinct voices and the character growth was awesome to read. Both those characters were great and I couldn't stop rooting for them to hook up. Will cracked me up with how he was always staring at Alona's legs. Don't know why, I but I thought it was funny. Both of them sounded like actual teenagers. They spoke and swore like teens do and if I didn't know any better, I would have thought the book had been written by a teen.
So instead of me gushing about the book for a long time, I'm just going to finish it with "this book is awesome, read it!!!"
My rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.