Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday--Favorite Dystopian/Utopian books

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish


This weeks top ten is favorite x genre. I'm picking dystopian/utopian books. These are in no particular order.

Dystopian

1. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins:
Of course this series is on this list. Who doesn't love the Hunger Games? It's practically what started the whole dystopian craze that is happening right now.

2. Divergent by Veronica Roth:
Ah! There are no words that can describe how much I adore this book.

3. Wither by Lauren Destefano:
This series is so well done. It shows all the ugliness that happens in this world. All the kidnapping, killing, protesting, all of it. It's such an interesting world.

4. Unwind by Neal Shusterman:
Neal pretty much wrote dystopian books before dystopian was even a genre. Unwind came out before all the big dystopians such as Hunger Games. He writes this kind of fiction very well.

5. Enclave by Ann Aguire:
This one had some really cool elements to it. There is the clan life, the zombie like people, and then the whole earth has been destroyed thing. Adding them all together was really cool.

6. Ashes, Ashes, by Jo Treggiari:
I liked how this was more about natural disasters instead of man made disasters. That was pretty cool.

7. Gone by Michael Grant:
I wasn't really sure if I should put this is dystopian or Utopian. It's a little of both. This book grossed me out so bad. There was times I'd find I was closing my eyes cause I couldn't stand to "see" what happened next. Then I'd remember I was reading a book and not watching something, so I'd have to keep my eyes open. It was gross. My mind was too vivid.

Utopian
8. Unvieled by Trisha Wolfe:
This isn't really a book, and is also one of those that is a mix and kinda hard to place. It is a short story of only 35 pages, but it was awesome. The world was already set up and the characters as well. I heard she's making this a full of novel now. yay!

9. Incarnate by Jodi Meadows:
Oh man, I adore this book. This is one I'll probably be rereading in the near future. The world is so much fun to over analyze.

10. The Host by Stephenie Meyer:
Utopian or dystopian? Can't really tell. It's one of them. I loved the characters in this book. They are so much more... just more than the characters in Twilight.

17 comments:

  1. The Hunger Games and Gone are amazing, I love them both. Ah, I really need to read Wither and Divergent, they both look so goog. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there :) just popping in...
    Great choices, I really need to catch up on some reading!

    I'm also your newest follower :) Here is my choice...

    Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got Incarnate sitting on my shelf and I need to just read it. I've heard glowing things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do enjoy a dystopian :) Some of my favourites are by Margaret Atwood (The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx and Crake / The Year of the Flood), and a while ago I read The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist, which was also really good. I really need to read Mockingjay, as I've read the first two Hunger Games books and should probably find out how it all ends...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of those. I'm definitely going to have to check them out!

      Delete
  5. I *knew* I forgot about something. I forgot about Unwind, and I loved that book! Now I feel like re-arranging my list. xDDD

    Agnieszka @ Nook of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that book is sooooooo good! Everytime I see it now I'm always like "owignaosdginaose! I love that book!"

      Delete
  6. Good list. I haven't tried The Host yet and need to. Check out our Top 10 this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I really need to read some more of these. I've heard so much about Divergent! Anyway, thanks for sharing! If you're interested in reading a similar list (about non-YA sci-fi!) you're welcome to check out mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list. The host are a good book. I have read the first book in the Gone series too but I didn`t like that on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering how The Host rated, I might have to read it..and yes, The Hunger Games are a definite for this type of list! Here is my Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah for Hunger Games and Divergent! I am intrigued by Enclave and Unwind as well. Great list!

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairytale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-ten-tuesday-17-historical-romances.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm pretty sure that Neal Shusterman is my favorite YA author. If he ever did a signing near me, I would be a fangirl mess! I adore his books! Great list!

    Check out YA Litwit’s Top Ten Fairy Tale Retellings and my GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've checked his site, it doesn't seem like he tours unless it's for schools. Even then he charges $3,000-$6,000 for a visit. Yikessss

      Delete
  12. I haven't read anything by Neal Shusterman or Ann Aguire. Maybe I shall check them out on Goodreads! I have Ashes, Ashes on my E-reader; I think it was the first book I bought but I only read like half of it, and I don't know why I never finished it because I was enjoying the story. Man, every day a new book (or ten) gets added to my TBR pile :)) Thanks for stopping by my blog :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm I didn't know there WERE utopian books. I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really need to get to Unwind. I've heard such good things!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.