Sunday, March 25, 2012

Book I Gave Up On (4)--Falling in Love with English Boys

As any avid reader knows, there are loads of fantastic books coming out every week. It is impossible to keep up with the ever growing tbr list. This is why I have gotten over my dislike of not finishing books and decided that some books just aren't worth the time it takes to finish them.


Falling In Love With English Boys by Melissa Jensen
Published by Speak
Genre: YA
293 pages


What it's about:
Sixteen-year-old Catherine Vernon has been stranded in London for the summer-no friends, no ex-boyfriend Adam the Scum (good riddance!), and absolutely nothing to do but blog about her misery to her friends back home. Desperate for something-anything-to do in London while her (s)mother's off researching boring historical things, Cat starts reading the 1815 diary of Katherine Percival her mom gives her-and finds the similarities between their lives to be oddly close. But where Katherine has the whirls of the society, the parties and the gossip over who is engaged to who, Cat's only got some really excellent English chocolate. Then she meets William Percival-the uber-hot descendant of Katherine-and things start looking up . . .


Why I gave up on it:
Lemme just say that I was really excited about this book. The name says it all. Who doesn't want to fall in love with an English boy? I mean, really. Stephanie Perkins says it best in Anna and the French Kiss, "Seriously. I don't know any American girl who can resist an English accent." This could not be any more true.

Which is why I was really shocked that I gave up on this book. It did not take me long do decide that I very much disliked this book. I formed this opinion really fast. The first 20 pages, if not more, not once did the main character shut up about how pissed off she was about moving to London for 5 weeks during the summer. It wasn't even a little bit of complaining, it was full on whining. Ughhhh. Not a good way to start a book. She was saying how horrible it was being stuck in London and why would anyone want to go there. Just on and on and on. This was just sick and wrong in my opinion.
I could not believe that a teenage girl would have issues with going to London for awhile. All girls love British boys. All girls. No girl is going to complain about meeting them. No girl is going to sit in a flat for days on end while staying in London and not go exploring. It's just not believable.

So I gave up on it. I was not willing to sit there and read about a girl bitching about having the oportunity I know most girls (myself included) would sacrifice just about anything to have. No way.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to agree with you on that point. I don't care how old you are, given the chance to be in London as a teen, you can be anyone you want, I don't believe there is a teenager on this planet that wouldn't jump at the chance. Just not believable. Nor would I want to read about it. Whiny isn't the way to start a book.

    But The Immortal Rules ROCKS doesn't it??? I just finished it!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad I saw why you didn't finish this one before I stumbled upon it and tried to read it. The London hating character would have made me livid! I love London and anyone that's that naive doesn't deserve my time!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.