Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull


Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
published by Scholastic
Genre: Midgrade
$7.99 (paperback)

FTC: I borrowed this book from my sister who did not receive it from the publisher. I will not be compensated for reviewing this book.
What it's about (from the back of the book):
For centuries mystical creatures of all description were gathered into a hidden refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary survives today as one of the last strongholds of true magic. Enchanting? Absolutely. Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite...

Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws keep relative order among greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. however, when the rules get broken--Seth is a bit too curious and reckless for his own good--powerful forces of evil are unleashed, and Kendra and her brother face the greatest challenge of their lives. To save their family, Fablehaven, and perhaps even the world, Kendra and Seth must find the courage to do what they fear most.

My thoughts:
Okay, I loved it. I will admit it. My sister swore up and down that these books were amazing and I had to read them. So far, the first one is pretty awesome.

This book grabbed my attention and I wanted to know all the magical mysteries of the book. What was up with the keys? What in the world was up with the butterflies and the mirror? Why did the grandpa put a chicken in the bedroom? I HAD to know.

Seth's character irritated me sooo much! He was such an 11 year old boy, always doing things he was told not to do. I thought he was never going to learn from his mistakes. But of course, to even out his character, there is Kendra. She's over cautious about everything.

I only have one complaint about the book. He doesn't go into enough descriptions about the magical creatures. Like the brownies. What in the world do they look like? Cause I do not know what they are. To me, they just sound like a stoners favorite made up creature.

While I thought the end cleaned up nicely, I do not see what the next four books are going to be about, but I look forward to figuring it out.

My rating: 9/10

1 comment:

  1. You should check out the trailer for the final book in the series, which releases March 23:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYhSaHkrE8A

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.