Monday, February 1, 2010

Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder


Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder
published by Simon Pulse
Genre: YA
$15.99 (hardcover)


FTC: I bought this book

What it's about (from the book sleeve):
Restless souls and empty hearts. Brooklyn can't sleep. her boyfriend, Lucca, died only a year ago, and now her friend Gabe has just died of an overdoes. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants, or why it isn't Lucca visiting her dreams.

Nico can't stop. He's always running, trying to escape the pain of losing his brother, Lucca. But when Lucca's ghost begins leaving messages telling Nico to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.

As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest.

My thoughts:
LOVED IT! Lisa has done it again. She wrote a book that I thought I wouldn't like because it sounds so depressing, but I ended up adoring it. Just like with her book I Heart You, You Haunt Me, I was crying a few pages into the book. It being written in verse allows the book to cut out all the small things and get right to the point. You get all the raw emotions without being dragged down.

I especially loved how she entwined her first book, I heart you, into this story. Having Ava help Brooklyn out was a nice little treat.

The book is written from two different perspectives and lets you hear the whole story. How everyone is affected by a death of a loved one. Family, friends, a whole school. Throughout the book, she kept mentioning the band, The Killers. This was perfect. Their first cd gives exactly the right mood for the book. After finishing the book, I immediately went and found my copy of that cd and listened to it.

The whole book is filled with perfect lines. Ones that you sit there and think, "wow, I should write this down because that is an amazing line."

I would recommend this book to anyone who has felt the loss of a loved one.


my rating: 10/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.