Sunday, February 14, 2010

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey


Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey
published by Graphia
Genre: YA
$8.99 (paperback)

FTC: I'm not receiving compensation for reviewing this book

What it's about from the back of the book:
Marrying a vampire definitely doesn't fit into Jessica Packwood's senior-year "get a life" plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth and he's her long-lost fiance. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Tenn Vampire's Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But Jessica has never even been kissed--how can she possibly commit herself to a long-term relationship? Or an eternal relationship, for that matter?

My thoughts:
This book was...special.
It took me until about half way through the book, if not longer, for me to even like Jessica's character. Her character acted like most teenage girls would, but it didn't mean that it didn't annoy the crap out of me. Lucius's character wasn't much better.

While I did root for Jessica and Lucius to get together, I never really did feel the love between them. It was more like Fantaskey was telling me they were in love, but never really showed it. One second Jessica hates Lucius, and the next she is madly in love with him. It was odd.

Another part that I wasn't buying was Frank "thick head." It was too easy for the bully of the school. Let's just say, I don't think his character could do the things he did and the vampires would not have made it so easy for him.

Jessica's Guide was pretty much a mix between Wuthering Heights and Dracula. I find that the mix of those two books did not really make a compelling story.

One thing I could not get over was all the vegan bashing this book did. It was a little over the top and something that Fantaskey does not seem to fully understand. Me being an ex vegan clouded my views on this and I took part of it personally.

My Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.