Saturday, August 4, 2012

Series review: Solid and Settling

Solid by Shelley Workinger
Published by Createspace
Genre: YA
$7.99 paperback or $3.99 kindle ebook
221 pages

What it's about:
Clio Kaid may be 17 and just beginning the last summer before her senior year, but her life is anything but typical.

She's just discovered she was genetically altered before birth and is now headed to a top-secret Army campus to explore the surprising results of the experiment.

Follow Clio and the other teens as they develop fantastic super-abilities, forge new friendships, find love, and uncover a conspiracy along the way.

 
My thoughts on bk.#1 Solid:
I read Solid a year ago when I first received a copy of it and I thought I had written a review for it but it turns out I didn't, so I read it a second time.

The first time I read this book, I read it really fast and enjoyed it. I thought that the idea of being genetically altered teens with super powers was pretty neat. Plus there was a boarding school/camp setting which I always enjoy. I know that a lot of people get annoyed when the parents are conveniently absent, but that is not a situation I have a problem with. I actually really enjoy the whole boarding school setting. I like the hardly there parents.

I also really liked the group dynamics of Clio and her friends. I like how there are flaws in each character and how all the characters are aware of them. I like how there is a friend in the group that doesn't fit in and is unwanted for a while (isn't there always one of those people in a group?)

And lastly I liked how Clio wasn't super special when it came to all the genetically altered special kids and I liked how there was questions as to what in the world is Jack's special abilities? Does he even have any? I want to know!

The only problem I really had was it all seemed too easy. The group of friends discovered everything very easily and the problem at the end happens very fast and is easily overcome. I would have liked to see more complications.



Settling (book #2)
$9.99 paperback or $4.99 kindle ebook
242 pages

What it's about:
At the beginning of the summer, Clio Kaid was one of a hundred teens brought to a secret Army installation. But it was no ordinary camp and they weren’t ordinary kids…

Picking up where “Solid” left off, Clio and her friends realize that they aren’t ready to go home; they’re determined to stay on campus and continue their journey of self- discovery. But someone doesn’t feel the same way and will do anything to drive them away – even kill.

Friendships will be tested, abilities will evolve, and more secrets will come out as the teens race to stop the killer before he sets his sights on one of them…

My thoughts on Settling:
I did not enjoy this book nearly as much as Solid. I was so annoyed with Clio during the whole book. I really just wanted to shake her and talk some sense into her. She was being so stupid and she never seemed to stop being stupid. This really ruined the book for me. I just couldn't get over it and due to spoilers, I can not say what it was she was doing that bugged me so much.

Settling also had the same problem when it came to everything happened so easily. The big problem of this book according to the description is that people were being murdered, yet that seemed to be a side story to Clio and her whining and all the mistakes she was making. Ugh.

So to say the least, I will probably not be continuing with this series. The first book was good and interesting while I found the second book lacking.

Ratings:
Solid- 8/10
Settling- 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.