Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Review: Reckoning

Reckoning by Lili St.Crow
Series: Strange Angels #5
Published by Razorbill
Genre: YA paranormal
$9.99 (US paperback)
304 pages

What it's about:
Sixteen-year-old orphan Dru Anderson has faced down suckers, zombies, and wulfen without flinching. And now that she's bloomed into a full-fledged svetocha, she doesn't even need a gun. But the Real World is still a frightening place... and things are about to get ugly. Really ugly.
Dru Anderson has escaped with her life, but she's not out of the woods yet. She's on the Iam in a stolen car with her best friend Graves riding shotgun and a Broken wulf named Ash curled up in the backseat. Desperate, Dru heads deep into the Appalachian Mountains to the one place she thinks they'll be safe. But her grandmother's wards and enchantments can't keep Dru's scent from the suckers for long- especially when Dru is betrayed by the one person she trusts most.
It's all come down to this.
ONE battle. ONE choice. ONE final sacrifice.


My thoughts:
I love love love this series, but sadly I was really really really disappointed in the last book of this series.

I think with every review I do for this series, I always talk about how much I love the characters. This is still true for this book. Dru and Graves are fantastic. I love how they are constantly growing and learning. How when you first meet Dru and Graves they are mostly innocent little kids who do everything they are told. Then by the end of the series, they are these bad ass paranormals who know how to take care of themselves and been through more than any one person should go through.  This is what I really love about this series.

What I don't like about the series is all the fight scenes. I find them incredibly confusing and constantly have to go back and reread most of them just so I understand what in the world is going on. They are hard to read. And unfortunately, that is all this book is. Lots and lots and lots of fighting, which is expected, I just wish there was a little less of it.

I also was really disappointed in the ending. I'm the type of reader that LOVES and NEEDS to know exactly what happens to my favorite characters in the future. I do not like it when everything is still left up in the air. I want to know that my characters end up happy and all the questions that are constantly asked throughout the series have been answered. As Lili has said on her facebook if  you follow her, if you are this type of reader, then you will always hate the endings to her series. She was not lying.

I feel like this series shouldn't have ended already. I don't have the happy feeling, sad, and satisfied feeling I get when I finish a series that I love. This is really coloring my view of this book and making me give it a low rating.

My rating: 6/10
This makes me really sad :(

2 comments:

  1. Yes your right, all the fighting was really confusing! And the ending just left me with more questions than answers, which is sad since this was one of my favorite series. Though I still enjoyed reading the pervious books.

    My Review of Reckoning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, no! It's one thing being disappointed in a book, but it's almost worst when it's the last one and you expect it to go with a bang. I sadly haven't gotten the time to give this a go, but I really want to. I've heard great things about the others, so I'm a bit surprised and sad this seemed to be a disappointment! Great review though.

    Rebecca @ Kindle Fever

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.