Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Review: Lost Hero PLUS Rick Riordan signing

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
published by Disney Hyperion
Genre: Midgrade
$18.99 (hardback)
553 pages

ftc: this is my book and I will not be compensated for this review.

What it's about:
Jason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up on a school bus holding hands with a girl. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper. His best friend is a kid named Leo, and they’re all students in the Wilderness School, a boarding school for “bad kids.” What he did to end up here, Jason has no idea—except that everything seems very wrong.


Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, and her vivid nightmares reveal that he’s in terrible danger. Now her boyfriend doesn’t recognize her, and when a freak storm and strange creatures attack during a school field trip, she, Jason, and Leo are whisked away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood. What is going on?

Leo has a way with tools. His new cabin at Camp Half-Blood is filled with them. Seriously, the place beats Wilderness School hands down, with its weapons training, monsters, and fine-looking girls. What’s troubling is the curse everyone keeps talking about, and that a camper’s gone missing. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist they are all—including Leo—related to a god.

My thoughts:
AHHHHH!!!!!! THIS BOOK IS SOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not going to say much about this book because knowing me, I will give something away and I'd hate to be the ass hat who gave away too much information on this book.

The new characters are so much fun in this book. While I was hoping to see more of some of my old favorites (like Annabeth, Nico, Tyson, and so on) this book was perfect without them. Jason, Leo, and Piper are all such fun and interesting new characters that you couldn't help but fall in love with them almost immediately. Could I pick a favorite of the new big 3? Never. They are too much fun together to pick a favorite.

You get to see another side to the Gods that we all know and love, and get to know even more about them. I loved getting to know a few more gods even better than you did in the PJ series. Also learning more about the different cabins and new demigod powers. One word: Clovis. hahahaha.

This is a book that you shouldn't read UNTIL you've read the first 5 Percy Jackson books. And if you haven't read the Percy Jackson books yet, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? Go get them right now!

My rating: 11/10.
Yes that's right, I gave it an 11! The ending will leave you shocked and needing more! But you'll have to wait a year like the rest of us. It's lame, I know.

My Rick Riordan signing experience.

Last night Rick Riordan was doing just a signing over in Beaverton at Powells. I took two of my babysitting kids, my sister, and my sister's friend. We all decked out in Camp Half Blood shirts that I made, along with a beaded necklace my friend made for me. Yup, we're that nerdy. My sister got there earlier than I did and by 4:30pm, over 800 people had shown up. The signing didn't even start till 6pm. It was INSANE! I'm going to take a wild guess and say that about 1100 people showed up that night. It's about the average number of people that show up to his signings according to his blog.

By 7:30pm we got our books signed! They had to do it real fast but I did have enough time to ask him a question. My eng 218 teacher made me promise to ask him if he gets to pick his titles (she doesn't believe me that authors don't get to pick them, but they do have a say in what they are going to be). He told me he works with his publisher and they come up with a title together. So Dr. Lange, if you read this, nener nener nener, I told you so. hahah. Just kidding.

Sadly, you couldn't take pictures with him, but you could be stalker creepy and take pictures of him from the side. So we did.

He was so sweet. He talks and smiles to everyone. He even signed two things for my sister even though you were only supposed to get one. Btw, the lady next to him is his publisher.
My signed book. It took a while to decide which book to get signed, but this one is in the best shape so I went with this one.

Yup, that was the signing. It was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.