Saturday, December 3, 2011

Review: Something Deadly This Way Comes

Something Deadly This Way Comes by Kim Harrison
Series: Madison Avery #3
Published by Harper Teen
Genre: YA
$16.99 (US hardback)
245 pages

What it's about:
When madison died the night of her prom, she knew her life would never be the same. Now she has a powerful amlet, a team of rogue angels by her side, and the ability to flash forward into the future to see the shape of destiny. And of course, now she's finally with Josh-a perfect boyfriend who doesn't even mind that she's dead.
But being dead has its disadvantages, too. Madison feels caught between the light and the dark, and between her real life and her timekeeper status. When Madison has the opportunity to get her body back-to be alive again-she faces her most difficult decision yet. If she claims it, she could return to being a normal girl-and have a chance at a real relationship with Josh. But would having the one thing she wants most in the world also mean giving up everything she's worked so hard for?

My thoughts:
This series has the most beautiful views on life and souls. The whole idea behind this series is nothing like anything I have ever read before. It's beautiful, it's thought provoking, and really well done.

There is a reason Kim Harrison is perhaps my all time favorite author. She is right there next to JK Rowling for me because just like with Rowling's books, you can't go wrong with a Kim Harrison book. It's just not possible. There are a few things you can always expect from Harrison's books: 1) there are going to be at least three amazing characters that are so well done you will feel like you know them personally 2) the world the characters live in and their abilities will be vivid and exciting and 3) the end of each book will be wrapped up nicely and always end on a happy note.

Something Deadly is the 3rd and final book in the Madison series and is by far my favorite of the three books. Madison is such a great leading lady. I love how motivated and determined she is and what a wonderful person she is. Then of course there is Barnabus and Nakita as well who are fantastic. I love watching those two characters grow and learn.  I love how this series shows both sides of a situation and doesn't have clear "bad guys" and "good guys." Harrison shows and explains both sides equally. Light does not equal good and dark does not equal bad. Both are good and bad for their own reasons.

I don't think I could ever sing enough praises for this series. I could keep going on and on about why I love these books so much but that would take all the fun out of reading them.

My rating: 10/10

1 comment:

  1. I've never even heard of this author or this series. :( Now I'll have to check it out...if you're comparing to Rowling. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.