Monday, August 30, 2010

Review: Deception


Deception by Lee Nichols
published by Bloomsburry
$9.99 (paperback)
Genre: YA
310 pages

FTC: I borrowed this book from the library. I will not be compensated for this review.

What it's about:
When her parents leaver on a mysterious business trip, Emma Vaile has the perfect excuse to rebel--throw some parties, get a tattoo )or maybe just a piercing), and enjoy the first few weeks of junior year. But when the cops crash her party, she finds herself in the hands of a new guardian--her college-age knight in J.Crew armor, Bennett Stern--and on a plane to his museum-like mansion in New England.
After enrolling at Thatcher Academy, Emma settles in by making friends with the popular legacy crowd but can't shake the strange visions that are haunting her. She has memories of Thatcher she can't explain, as if she's returning home to a place she's never been. Emma doesn't trust anyone anymore--except maybe Bennett. And he's explain the visions...and make Emma fear for her life.

My thoughts:
This book has almost everything I look for in a good book, strong characters, drama, action. The only thing it didn't really have was a good love plot. Throughout the book, Emma keeps talking about how crazy in love she is with Bennett, yet I didn't really feel it. Didn't really understand it either. Bennett was sort of boring, rude, gone most of the time, and then he lied a lot on top of that. He did sort of redeem himself towards the end, but hardly.
All the characters in this book are only okay. No one really stands out, no one really gets fully developed. This is just the first book in a series, so there is time for it, but I would have liked to see more in this one.
I really do like the plot line for this book. I think it's interesting and different from the normal ghost stories I read. It just doesn't stand out. I finished this book almost 3 weeks ago and I'm having trouble remembering everything about it. If I really liked it, it would have stuck with me better. It is a book that I found very easy to forget about.

My rating: 7/10
It has potential to be a really good series once it's fully developed and if some of the many unanswered questions get answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.