Monday, October 3, 2011

Review: My Double Life

My Double Life by Janette Rallison
Published by Putnam Juvenile
Genre: YA
$16.99 (US hardback)
265 pages 


What it's about:
Her whole life, Alexia Garcia has been told that she looks just like pop star Kari Kingsley, and one day when Alexia's photo filters through the Internet, she's offered a job to be Kari's double. This would seem like the opportunity of a lifetime, but Alexia's mother has always warned her against celebrities.
Rebelliously, Alexia flies off to L.A. and gets immersed in a celebrity life. Not only does she have to get used to getting anything she wants, she romances the hottest lead singer on the charts, and finds out that her own father is a singing legend. Through it all, Alexia must stay true to herself, which is hard to do when you are pretending to be somebody else!

My thoughts:
I love love love Janette Rallison's books! They are always so much fun. I know that when I open one of her books I'm going to be put in a world that is fun, adorable, and just a little weird.

I loved the idea of this book. A girl who looks almost exactly like a famous singer and who gets to become her secret body double? Awesome! Who hasn't at one point in their life wished to be a famous pop star? Alexia is a great leading character. A girl who is on a search for her father, the truth, and ultimately trying to find out who she is. Along the way she is trying to help everyone she can and trying to turn Kari's life around and make her a better person. It sounds cheesey and well, it is, but in a good way. Rallison's books always are a little cheesey but it's a kind I like.

This book has really cute characters, a fun plot, entertaining dialogue, and is a fast read. If you are wanting to read a stress free, non-series book for fun, this would be a great choice. If you're a fan of Rallison's books, this is definitely one you will want to read.

My rating: 8/10
Quotes:
"Teenagers. All you think about are looks. if you were smart, you would date ugly people. They'll be grateful and treat you better."

"Kari looked over at me then and was a lot less thrilled by the new portrait in her writing nook. She actually glared at me as though I'd done it on purpose. As though I'd said to myself, 'Why leave when I could stand here and pretend to be a picture of Kari instead?'"

1 comment:

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.