Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Published by Dutton Books
Genre: YA
$16.99 (US hardback)
338 pages

What it's about:
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion...she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit--more sparkly, more fun, more wild--the better. but even though Lola's style is outrageous, she's a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket--a gifted inventor--steops out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.


My thoughts:
LOVE IT! I don't think Stephanie Perkins will ever write a book that I do not love.

Hmmm what do I love most about Stephanie Perkins books? I think I'd have to say the characters. She creates the best characters. Lola was such a fun girl. She loves costumes and make up, and wigs and big big dresses. Love it. She was just so quirky and adorable. Then you add in her fathers? They cracked me up and I love how Lola didn't have the conventional upbringing. Then there is Cricket. *sigh* The nerdy, adorable, big haired, awesome pants wearing, boy next door. He seemed so realistic. The awkward boy who is too shy for his own good.

Besides the amazing characters, there is the voice of the book. It is a voice that just clicks with me. Stephanie's writing reminds me of Kiersten White and Janette Rallison. How the second you open the book and read the first page you are already hooked. It's fun, has great humor, and just screams "I am full of awesome."

I could never give enough praise for both Lola and the Boy Next Door, and for Stephanie's first book, Anna and the French Kiss. For all of you Anna fans out there, you'll be happy to see some familiar faces in Lola :)

My rating: 11/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.