Friday, October 28, 2011

Review: Awake at Dawn

Awake at Dawn by C.C. Hunter
Series: Shadow Falls #2
Published by St. Martins Griffin
Genre: YA
$9.99 (US paperback)
400 pages

What it's about:
Now that she’s settled in at Shadow Falls Camp, Kylie Galen’s determined to discover the extent of her supernatural abilities. But with a ghost insisting someone Kylie loves is about die, a rogue vampire on a murdering rampage, and her sixth sense telling her someone is watching her, Kylie’s quest for answers is quickly put on hold.


To make matters worse, just when she’s about to give her heart to Derek, a half-fairy, he starts pulling away. When Lucas, a werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past, returns, Kylie’s feels more conflicted than ever. Her weekend with her mom should have been the just the break Kylie needs, but it turns out to be her breaking point. Someone from the dark side of the supernatural world has plans for Kylie--and it'll take all her resources to get back to Shadow Falls alive...


My thoughts:
I love this series! With both Born at Midnight and Awake at Dawn, I started it and stayed up all night long because I had to know what happens next. I love the summer camp, Shadow Falls, and all the different supernaturals that live in it.

The big question in this book is WHAT IS KAYLIE???????????? Is she a fae, werewolf, vampire, shapeshifter, or something else???? This is driving me crazy. Hunter does a fantastic job of playing this up and keeping the reader and all the characters wondering, what is Kaylie? Why can she see ghosts? What other powers will she develop and what in the world is following her? There are so many questions asked in this series and no matter how hard you try to guess the answers, Hunter always has a way to surprise you.

The relationships in this series is what really makes it great. Kaylie is constantly developing all kinds of relationships with everyone. She strives to try and fix the relationships she has with all three of her parents (yup, I said all 3), her growing sister/friend relationship with camp leader Holiday, with her cabin mates and then of course with the gorgeous Lucas and Derik. I haven't had such a hard time deciding on which Team Boy I like better since Shay and Ren. How can you pick between Lucas and Derik? One is mysterious, extremely sexy, and a childhood friend, while the other is sweet, hott, and always there. It's a hard choice but I think I'm Team Lucas :)

If I keep talking about this book I'm going to give away spoilers and I do not want to do that. If you like boarding school type books, along with supernaturals, humor, and mystery, you will adore this series. The Shadow Falls series is now a must read for all YA lovers.

My rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.