Saturday, March 5, 2011

Review: Iron Crowned by Richelle Mead

Iron Crowned by Richelle Mead
Published by Zebra Books
Genre: Adult paranormal romance
Series: #3 of the Dark Swan books
$7.99 (US paperback)
375 pages

What it's about:
Shaman-for-hire Eugenie Markham is the best at banishing entities trespassing in the mortal realm. But as the Thorn Land's queen, she's fast running out of ways to end the brutal war devastating her kingdom. her only hope: the Iron Crown, a legendary object even the most powerful gentry fear...
Who Eugenie can trust is the hardest part. Fairy king Dorian has his own agenda for aiding her search. And Kiyo, her shape-shifter ex-boyfriend, has every reason to betray her along the way. To control the Crown's ever-consuming powers, Eugenie will have to confront an unimaginable temptation--one that will put her soul and the fate of two worlds in mortal peril...

My thoughts:
**WARNING**
Because this is book #3 in the series, I can not guarantee that there will be no spoilers. So read at your own risk if you have not read the first two books.

I have waited for almost two years for this book. These books always end with a cliff hanger and it was torture waiting for this one to come out.

I've read a few reviews for this book and everyone says one thing: Eugenie needs to be punched. I agree completely with this. Normally what I love about Richelle's characters is how head strong the leading ladies are. How they are so badass and are smart. Well, Eugenie does something very stupid in this book and I was insanely annoyed at her. She needs to get over her problems. Geesh!

I love how this story is developing. How all the characters are learning and changing (well, except Eugenie, she's still a little bit dumb). This fairy world is very different than a lot of the other fairy stories. For starters, the fairies don't have wings. Just little things like that. The world that Richelle has created is so imaginative and capturing.

While Iron Crowned does follow some of the same patterns as the first two books, it also takes on a whole different feel. The first two books I could get some of the details mixed up to which book they happened in, but not this one. This one goes beyond the first two.
If you love Richelle Mead's writing, then you HAVE to read this series. No excuses. Then you can be all annoyed when you get to the end of this book and realize that you have to wait at least another year for the next book in the series. Ugh.

My rating: 9.5/10
The only reason I knocked it down a little is because of how much I wanted to punch Eugenie in the story. Her stupidity made me so angry!

1 comment:

  1. I have to say first - I skipped reading your review - I saw the "spoilers" part - just wanted to say I recently bought this series and can't wait to read them - glad to know this one got a 9.5/10! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.