Thursday, March 24, 2011

Forgive My Fins


Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
published by Katherine Tegan Books
$16.99 (hardcover)
Genre: YA
293 pages


FTC: I borrowed this book from a friend. I will not be compensated for reviewing this book.

What it's about:
Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it's not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you're a normal teenage girl, but when you're half human, half mermaid, like Lily, there's no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily's mermaid identity is a secret that can't get out, since she's not just any mermaid--she's a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a huan, she finally realized why she didn't feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she's been living on land and going to Seaview High School ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems--like her obnoxious biker-boy neighb or, Quince Fletcher--but it has that one major perk: Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren't really the casual dating type--the instant they "bond" it's for life.

When Lily's attempt to win Brody's love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily ever after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.

my thoughts:
If someone asked me to define what chick lit is, I would explain what this book is about to them. This book reads exactly like a chick flick movie. There is a girl who loves a certain boy and he has no idea she likes him. Then there is the "other" boy who is in love with girl but she doesn't like him. From the very beginning you know exactly what is going to happen, but enjoy every second of it. That's why there are so many of these type books/movies out there. How can you not love them? Forgive My Fins reminded me of the movies What Happens in Vegas and 27 dresses. Combine those two movies, add in a mermaid theme, and wha-la, you have Forgive My Fins.

There were a few things I didn't fully understand in this book. One was Lily's love for Brody. Brody doesn't seem like anything special at all. He doesn't pay any attention to her at all, they hardly talk to each other, and he's pretty full of himself. There wasn't anything great about him, but Quince was pretty amazing. He was hott but didn't act like it, he paid loads of attention to Lily, and was looking out for her all the time, even if it ment getting hurt himself. Oh, and he rides a motorcycle. Quince was just plain awesome.
I really enjoyed this book. It was pretty fluffy and bubble gum, but that was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a very light, fun, summer read and found everything I was looking for in this book. The fact that it was about mermaids added in some of the paranormal elements I love so much and gave it a little different edge to the book.

My Rating: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.