Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Deadly Sister


The Deadly Sister by Eliot Schrefer
published by Scholastic
$17.99 (hardback)
310 pages

FTC: The publisher gave me this book with the understanding I'd give an honest review. I will not be compensated for reviewing this book.

What it's about:
Abby Goodwin has always covered for her sister. Maya's screwups started out ordinary enough--broken curfews, failed classes, hanging out with drugged-out losers.
But now maya's been accused of murder. And Abby's not sure she'll be able to cover for her anymore.
With the police closing in, Abby helps Maya escape...and then starts investigating, hoping to clear her sister's name. What she finds, though, shows that you can't trust anyone-not even the people you think you know.

My thoughts:
The book starts off with Abby Finding the body of her sister's tutor. This obviously caught my attention pretty fast and I was thinking it was going to be a really great book. Then while I keep on reading I found myself losing interest in the story. I was having a hard time caring about any of the characters because I didn't like a single one of them. I didn't like the parents because they gave up on their daughter, didn't like the best friend, Maya, and least of all, Abby herself. There really was not a reason I did not like Abby's character, I just didn't. She kept doing things that were annoying me and I wanted to scream at her to stop.
The writing was actually pretty fantastic. You could tell that everything that was said and done by the characters was very thought out. Each character was very self aware. I liked how the reader was set up and made sure to only understand what the author wanted the reader to understand.
This wasn't a book that kept me interested throughout the whole thing. Most of the time I thought it was sort of boring. This all changed with the ending. This book had by far one of the best endings out of any book I have ever read. I think my mouth was actually hanging open while reading it because I was in shock. It made it worth reading the book.
My rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.