Friday, August 5, 2011

Review: Starcrossed

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Published by Harper Teen
Genre: YA
$17.99 (US Hardback)
496 pages

What it's about:
How do you defy destiny?


Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.


My thoughts:
Everyone was going on and on about how fantastic this book was and I was so excited to read it. I only thought it was okay. My best response to "was it any good?" is "meh."

I almost gave up on this book. For the first 70 pages, all Helen did was complain. She was a constant cranky pants. I honestly never fully grew to like her. She was just...blan. She really needed more depth and it never fully grew. I however LOVED the best friend! She was quirky and fun and everything Helen was not. Then you have the Delos family. Hmmm the best way to describe them would be a Cullen knockoff. I can't help but compair this book to Twilight. The writing style was similar along with most of the plot. Just add in some greek gods and take out the vampires and you have most of this book.

I finally started getting into this book about 200 pages into it. It took a really long time but it finally came. While I never fully believed the romance between Helen and Lucas, I still enjoyed reading it. It was completely unbelievable and cheesey, just like Bella and Edward. Then the ending of the book hit and I started having problems with the story again. There is a major flaw in the end that I can not see how it was overlooked. It is still bugging me and will always probably bug me when I think of this book. All the stuff I started to like about the story was taken away because of this flaw.

In other words, I only liked about 1/3 of the book and that was the middle part. The beginning and the end lacked. I don't see myself picking up the next book in this series.

My rating: 6/10

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet but, you're right, everyone's raving about it. I wonder if I'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read several conflicting reports on this one, which means I've got to try it out for myself. It's hard to get into a book that lags in the beginning -- easier when you're already invested. Great review!
    Mary @ BookSwarm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen some mixed reviews of this one! I have entered a couple of giveaways, since I want to read it, but am not sure if I want to pay full price for the HC on the chance I'm not won over by it!

    Good review!

    Molli
    E-mail: courageousgrace@gmail.com
    Blog: Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! My friend highly recommended this so I just got it today. I haven't started it yet .. I guess I'll find out for myself.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.