Friday, August 19, 2011

Review: Personal Demons

Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers
Published by Tor Teen
Genre: YA
$9.99 (US paperback)
365 pages

What it's about:
Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance---even her closest friends---and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can’t seem to stay away from him.


What she doesn’t know is that Luc is on a mission. He’s been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie’s soul. It should be easy---all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can’t be far behind. And sure enough, it’s not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn’t long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie’s soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them.
My thoughts:
I have about a million reasons to dislike this book. I can tear it apart, YET I actually really enjoyed the book. I have so many mixed reactions to it.

I'll get it over with and say why I disliked it. My main problem was I didn't care much for Frannie. I never fully connected with her. She wasn't all that likable to me until the end. I also didn't like her best friend Taylor or the relationship between them. It bugged me a lot more than I'd like. I also had a problem with Gabriel. I just don't think angels should say the word "shit." Other than that, he was okay. He needed to be in it more.

The next problem I had was the fact that both Luc and Frannie had the exact same voice. Sometimes I'd forget whose POV I was reading and would get a little confused and have to go back and look. I couldn't tell whose head I was in unless I was told. I also wish that Gabriel would have had a POV as well. Because I honestly rooted for the demon the whole time. I would have liked to see a little more of Heaven boy in it.

So those were the main reasons I had a problem with it. Why did I like it? Luc of course. I thought that he was fantastic in it. I loved seeing his character growth and watching a demon try and deal with teenage hormones (because what is more scary than teenage hormones?) and trying to figure out how to solve his little dilemma.

Something I didn't really have a problem with but I know a lot of people do is the insta-love thing. If you don't like it, I wouldn't recommend this book. The whole book takes place in 3 weeks yet they are acting like it's been 3 years.

Overall, I'm pretty mixed up how I feel about this book. While there was a lot that bugged me, I read it in one sitting. I couldn't put it down. I'll be reading the next book in the series in the hopes that we get to see another side of Gabe. I'm really interested in him. And of course for Luc as well :)

My rating: 8/10

1 comment:

  1. Don't you love/hate when a dumb book wins your heart cause of a guy? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.