Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
published by scholastic
$17.99 (hardback)
374 pages

FTC: I borrowed this book from a friend. I will not be compensated for reviewing this book.

What it's about:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before--and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


My thoughts:
!!!!!!!!
This book floored me. The intensity of it was so shocking I had to keep going. I'm going to quote a section from the book that I can't get over. It's been days since I've read the book and I'm still thinking about it.

"The arenas are historic sites, preserved after the Games. Popular destinations for Capitol residents to visit, to vacation. Go for a month, rewatch the Games, tour the catacombs, visit the sites where the deaths took place. You can even take part in reenactments.
They say the food is excellent" --Katniss, pg 145

wow.

For most of this book, I forgot it was a young adult novel. Katniss seems so adult like because she has spent her life growing up in fear of the Games, practically starving to death, and always being mindful of the Capital. It isn't until the very end of the book did I remember that she is only 16 years old.

Throughout the whole book, my stomach was in knots and I was freaking out for Katniss. I loved her character even if she was a little thick in the head sometimes. She is very strong, loyal, and pretty much amazing.

I would recommend this book to anyone with a strong stomach who love intense books. I finished this book in one day, staying up till 4am to finish it. It's been a few days since then and I still can't stop thinking about it.

my rating: 10/10!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.