Saturday, June 5, 2010

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters


Generation Dead by Daniel Waters
published by Disney Hyperion
392 pages
$8.99 (paperback)


FTC: I borrowed this book from a friend. I will not be compensated for reviewing it.


What it's about:
All over the country, a strange phenomenon is occurring. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. But when they come back to life, they are no longer the same. Feared and misunderstood, they're doing their best to blend into a society that doesn't want them.

The administration at Oakvale High attempts to be more welcoming of the "differently biotic," but the students don't want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn't breathing. And there are no laws to protec the "living impaired" from people who want them to disappear--for good.

When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids, no one can believe it: not her best friend, Margi, and especially not her neighbor Adam, the star of the football team-- and others won't stand for it. Adam has feelings for Phoebe that run much deeper than just friendship; he would do anything for her. But what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?

My thoughts:
I thought that this was a really cool idea for a book, but it wasn't done the way I was hoping it would be. I was hoping there was going to be more details about how the characters were feeling and more details about Pheobe and Tommy. Most of the book was complaining about the "biotically different" kids. The reader is in the head of Adam and Pete during most of the story and not so much Pheobe. This bothered me. I thought there was too much time spent explaining Adam's feelings for Pheobe and how Pete is a crazy guy who can't get over the death of his girlfriend. I would have liked for the story to be more about Adam, Pheobe, and Tommy. The story was telling me everything, but not showing me.

That was my only complaint. I actually did enjoy this story and how it is a lot different than anything I have read recently. It was pretty cool seeing the differences the dead kids have from the living and from each other. Why some can walk and talk as naturally as if they were living and why some can hardly move at all.

I plan on continuing to read this series. The next book in the series, Kiss of Life just came out in paperback.

My rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.