Friday, March 19, 2010

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa


The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
published by Harlequin Teen
363 pages
$9.99 (paperback)

FTC: I bought this book and will not be receiving compensation for reviewing this book.

What it's about:
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny-one she could never have imagined...
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school...or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth-that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face...and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


My thoughts:
This book was different than almost any book I have ever read.

It was a mix between Midsummer Night's Dream, Peter Pan, and Alice in Wonderland. It was very colorful and full of fantastic characters. I was half expecting to see quotes such as "Curiouser and curiouser" or "they'll sweetly drown you" in this book.

For the first part of it, I wasn't sure how I felt about the book. It was interesting and I was curious to what was going on, but it wasn't fantastic. But once I got to the second part of the book, I was starting to love it. I wanted to know which other marviousle characters were going to pop up in the book and how everything was going to be settled.

All the characters are very unique and fun. Meghan is the typical damsil in distress but is very sweet. She sees the best in everyone which is her weak point but also her strongest. The best friend Robbie is supposed to be full of laughs which you can see, but isn't fully explained. And then there's Ash. Ash is the closed off, forbidden love interest. He's dark, mysterious, loyal, and very determined. You couldn't help but fall in love with that character.

There was a few spots in the book that got a little confusing. For example, the whole story plot with Meghan's father. She seems to have three fathers in the book and there was some confusion with that.
There was also not a lot, but more than normal amounts of swearing in this book. It made the characters a lot more releastic. Teens swear and that is something that people try to avoid in books. I was glad this one had it actually just because it made Meghan feel like an actual teen. There was also a few sexual comments in this book. Because of these, I would not recommend this book for anyone under the age of 14.
Unfortunately, this book is going to be a series AND it had a cliff hanger ended. I was upset to see a few main questions not answered in this book and I can't wait for the release of The Iron Daughter in August.
My rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.