Monday, August 23, 2010

Review: The Demon's Covenant


The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan
published by Margaret K. McElderry Books
$17.99 (hardback)
Genre: YA
440 pages

FTC: I borrowed this book from the library. I will not be compensated for this review.

What it's about:
Mae always thought she was in control, but in the past few weeks, control has turned into chaos. She's learned that her brother, Jamie, has magical powers, and that Gerald, the new leader of the Obsidian Circle, is trying to persuade Jamie to join the magicians. The same magicians who tried to kill Mae and Jamie last month in London. The magicians who get their power by feeding people to demons.
Mae turns to brothers Nicka nd Alan to help her rescue Jamie, but they are in danger themselves. Every magician in England now knows what Nick really is-and they all want him dead.
Nick's new power has also caused a rift between the brothers. In the weeks they were gone something terrible happened, something that haunts them both. With Nick as unreadable as ever and Alan making secret bargains with a demon, Mae finds herself attracted to both brothers--though she knows she can't trust either of them. The magicians are closing in on one side, and the dangerous, seductive Goblin Market is tempting her on the other, and Mae has to form her own plan to save them all. She's going to find that the price she must pay is more than she ever imagined.

My thoughts:
After finishing the first book, I went and grabbed this book and started reading. I got about 75 pages into it and stopped. I wasn't feeling it anymore because there were other books I wanted to read more at the time.
About a week later I picked this book back up and pretty much read it in one or two sittings until I finished it.
This book was even better than the first. It is through Mae's POV so it was easier to relate to her. She's trying to save everyone and having problems with it.
Once again my favorite characters are Jamie and Nick. Jamie has some of the best lines in the book and reading about those two characters hanging out is great. Both of their characters are growing and learning so much. It's fascinating. The one character I'm not a huge fan of is Alan. I really don't know why because he is pretty amazing. Loyal, smart, sweet, caring, everything, and yet he really annoys me. I do feel bad for him though.
while this book didn't have as much action as the first, I liked it better. It was all about the characters. Even if I didn't like the book, I would still say you should read it just for the character development. I can't wait to read the next book so I can learn more about Nick.

My rating: 9.5/ 10

Quote from the book:
"Make yourself at home. Sorry for being such a shocking host-- I can't offer you any refreshments, and I'm probably about to stab you in the liver. What do you want?" --Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.