Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Early to Death, Early to Rise


Early to Death, Early to Rise by Kim Harrison
published by Harper
$16.99 (hardback)
228 pages


FTC: this is my book and I will not be compensated for reviewing it.

What it's about:
Madison Avery's dreams of ever fitting in at her new school died when she did. Especially since she was able to maintain the illusion of a body, deal with a pesky guardian angel, and oh yeah, bring the reaper who killed her to his untimely end. Not exactly in-crowd material. It's amazing that her crush, Josh, doesn't think she's totally nuts.

Now Madison has learned that she's the dark timekeeper, in charge of angels who follow the murky guidelines of fate. Never one to abide by the rules, she decides it's time for a major change to the system. With the help of some unlikely allies, Madison forms a rogue group of reapers who definitely don't adhere to the rules of the heavens.

But as she grapples with the terrifying new skills that come with b eing a timekeeper, Madison realizes she may not be prepared for what lies ahead--unless she gets some seriously divine intervention.


My thoughts:
I know I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again: You can't go wrong with a Kim Harrison book. You really, truly can't.

All of Kim's books have some of the same elements, 1) they are always paranormal 2) there is a small creature that is a side kick, 3) they are all incredibly amazing! :)

The idea for this series, to me, is very unique. Sure there are stories about dark and light fighting against each other, but this books puts a new spin on it. Both dark and light are still a part of Heaven. It's not like in Star Wars when dark=bad and light=good. Both light and dark are good and bad. The book really has you thinking about your views on the matter because the characters are constantly questioning their views. Is there really a thing as fate? Or is everything a matter of choice?

The first book in the series, Once Dead, Twice Shy, was about Madison dying and becoming the dark timekeeper. It was setting everything up and was about her personally. This book isn't really about her, but about the new system she is trying to set up. She is changing everything about the ways the dark reapers opperate. Let's just say, some people are having trouble with the new ways.

One thing I love about Kim Harrison books is the character development. All the characters are constantly learning new things about themselves and growing in personality. They always become better, stronger people. Even the bad guys grow and learn and half the time you are rooting for them as well. EtDEtR was full of character development. Nakita is constantly trying to learn what all her new feelings mean and how to blend in and trust people and through her, Madison is learning things about herself as well.
There is only one small complaint I have about this book and that is Josh. He's hardly in it! I love Josh's character and he needs to be in it more!

Okay, I lied, I have a second complaint and that is that the book is too short. Sure everything is solved and the ending is perfect, it's just I love the books so much I wish they were longer.

My rating: 10/10!

Quote from the book: "Madison is how she was christened, when she's angry her eyes tend to glisten. Lives she does save, no thanks does she crave. It'd be easier if you crapheads would listen." --Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.