Saturday, March 1, 2014

Review: Fire and Flood

Fire and Flood by Victoria Scott
Series: Fire and Floor #1
Published by Scholastic Press
Genre: YA 
$17.99 (US Hardback)
320 pages

What it's about:
A modern day thrill ride, where a teen girl and her animal companion must participate in a breathtaking race to save her brother's life—and her own. 

Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?


My thoughts:
Hey, you guys, I ADORE THIS BOOK!!!!

I do, I really, truly do.

I have been having bad luck with the YA books I've been reading the last month or two, then this book came along and finally changed that. Tella was such a special character. She's funny, she's girly without being obnoxious about it, she's caring, and lastly, she is strong. Even while she is all of these, she is still relatable and believable. I didn't have a hard time believing that she cared so much for her ill brother that she would join a race that she knew nothing about. And she changed throughout the book at a good pace.

And then there are the Pandoras. I really, really want one. So bad. I don't even care which one. I liked how they added fantasy into the story in an interesting way. It also separates this book from other similar stories, like Hunger Games.

I'm trying to debate on how much to say without giving away too much. I think this will have to do. The writing was my favorite type of voice and I immediately connected with it. The story has a little bit of everything in it and was wonderful. I received a Galley of this book, but I have already bought two copies of it: one for me, and one for my sister.

My rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. This one looks so good. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for finding a YA book that was a good fit for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.