Thursday, February 6, 2014

Review: The Queen's Choice

The Queen's Choice by Cayla Kluver
Series: Heirs of Chroir #1
Published by Harlequin Teen
Genre: YA Fantasy
$17.99 (US hardback)
512 pages
 
What it's about:
Magic was seeping out of me, black and agonizing. I could see it drifting away. The magic that would let me pass the Road to reach home again.

When sixteen-year-old Anya learns that her aunt, Queen of the Faerie Kingdom of Chrior, will soon die, her grief is equalled only by her despair for the future of the kingdom. Her young cousin, Illumina, is unfit to rule, and Anya is determined not to take up the queen's mantle herself.

Convinced that the only solution is to find Prince Zabriel, who long ago disappeared into the human realm of Warckum, and persuade him to take up his rightful crown, Anya journeys into the Warckum Territory to bring him home. But her journey is doomed to be more harrowing than she ever could have imagined.


My thoughts:
This is the fourth book of Kluver's I have read, and unfortunately it wasn't a favorite of mine.

Kluver's writing is absolutely stunning. It flows beautifully while being descriptive and detailed. That also happens to be part of my problem with this book, it's detailed. Everything is written out which is why the book is over 500 pages long. The book could have been at least 100 pages shorter and still would have been enough.
The length really was what I was having problems with. I'm no stranger to 500 (or even 900+) page books, but they really need to captivate me from the beginning with strong characters. Anya unfortunately wasn't a very exciting narrator. While I did feel for her and wanted to know how her story turned out, I didn't have any problem skimming the second half of the book to find out what goes down.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this book, or maybe it just wasn't my style. Either way it has to be said that the writing is beautiful, but I'd read the first chapter before buying the book to make sure that it works for you.

My rating: 3/5


*Thanks to Harlequin Teen for sending me an advanced copy*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.