Saturday, February 15, 2014

Review: Fates by Lanie Bross


Fates by Lanie Bross
Series: Fates #1
Published by Delacorte Press
Genre: YA Paranormal?
$17.99 (US Hardback)
336 pages
 
What it's about:

One moment. One foolish desire. One mistake. And Corinthe lost everything.

She fell from her tranquil life in Pyralis Terra and found herself exiled to the human world. Her punishment? To make sure people's fates unfold according to plan. Now, years later, Corinthe has one last assignment: kill Lucas Kaller. His death will be her ticket home.

But for the first time, Corinthe feels a tingle of doubt. It begins as a lump in her throat, then grows toward her heart, and suddenly she feels like she is falling all over again--this time for a boy she knows she can never have. Because it is written: one of them must live, and one of them must die. In a universe where every moment, every second, every fate has already been decided, where does love fit in?

My thoughts:
What I really love about reading on my Kindle is that it will track how fast I read, and then it will tell me how much longer I have till I will finish the book. That's pretty awesome.

The time tracker was a problem with this book though. When I saw that it would only take 5 hours to read the book, I thought that was pretty cool because that is a lot shorter than it normally takes me to read a book. Yet when I was reading, time seemed to have slowed down. Maybe even stopped. I was having a hard time getting into this book. Fates was everywhere in both plot and location. The characters seemed to be jumping realms at an alarming rate. I don't think I have ever said that a book is "everywhere" before, but this story really was. It was a mess.

That was my big problem, that the story was everywhere. And Corinthe herself. I couldn't connect to her in the least. She was just so blah.

I think this could have been a pretty good story with a little more work to it. Fix some of the everywhere-ness.

My rating: 2/5

2 comments:

  1. I hate it when a book just drags on! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. That's depressing. I hate when a book is all over the place.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.