Saturday, July 21, 2012

Review: Scary School

Scary School by Derek the Ghost
Published by Harper Collins
Genre: Midgrad
$5.99 (US paperback)
237 pages

 
What it's about:
You think your school's scary?
Get a load of these teachers:
"Ms. Fang," an 850-year-old vampire
"Dr. Dragonbreath," who just might eat you before recess
"Mr. Snakeskin"--science class is so much more fun when it's taught by someone who's half zombie
"Mrs. T"--break the rules and spend your detention with a hungry "Tyrannosaurus rex"
Plus
Gargoyles, goblins, and Frankenstein's monster on the loose
The world's most frighteningly delicious school lunch
And
The narrator's an eleven-year-old ghost
Join Charles "New Kid" Nukid as he makes some very Scary friends--including Petunia, Johnny, and Peter the Wolf--and figures out that Scary School can be just as funny as it is spooky



My thoughts:
I'm always on the lookout for good midgrade books. The kids I babysit are reluctant readers and will only read the books I force on them and swear up and down that they are really good. So when I was asked to review this book, I immediately read it so I could recommend it to my babysitting kids.

This book was surprisingly funny. I was sort of expecting it to be a little cheesey and that I'd probably only chuckle while reading it, but that wasn't really the case. I was full on laughing while reading it because it was hilarious! It was so out there that I couldn't help but laugh and think "wtf?" the whole time I was reading. The things that go on at Scary School are outrageous and definitely entertaining.

A few things I really enjoyed about Scary School:
*The three "r's" Rachael, Raychel, and FRank (which is pronounced Rachel).
* Charle's the New Kid. I thought he was just great.
*The illustrations. They really are just sketches but I thought they were awesome. They are simple yet detailed all in one.

This was a quick and funny read that I would (and have) recommend to anyone who enjoys funny midgrade books.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this book was really funny too! I put a review of it up this week and I got the second book that I think I will be reading very soon.

    If you liked this book, I think you will also enjoy the wayside school books (for kids) lots of fun.

    Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.