Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Review: Saving June

Saving June by Hannah Harrington
Published by Harlequin Teen
Genre: YA contemporary
$9.99 (US paperback)
336 pages

 
What it's about:
‘If she’d waited less than two weeks, she’d be June who died in June. But I guess my sister didn’t consider that.’

Harper Scott’s older sister has always been the perfect one so when June takes her own life a week before her high school graduation, sixteen-year-old Harper is devastated. Everyone’s sorry, but no one can explain why.

When her divorcing parents decide to split her sister’s ashes into his-and-her urns, Harper takes matters into her own hands. She’ll steal the ashes and drive cross-country with her best friend, Laney, to the one place June always dreamed of going, California.

Enter Jake Tolan. He’s a boy with a bad attitude, a classic-rock obsession and nothing in common with Harper’s sister. But Jake had a connection with June, and when he insists on joining them, Harper’s just desperate enough to let him. With his alternately charming and infuriating demeanour and his belief that music can see you through anything, he might be exactly what she needs.

Except June wasn’t the only one hiding something. Jake’s keeping a secret that has the power to turn Harper’s life upside down again.

 
My thoughts:
Every time I read a book about the loss of a family member/friend/boyfriend, ext. I always wonder why I read it. It makes me depressed every time and I always cry while reading them, yet I can't seem to keep away from them. And this book was no exception. It definitely made me cry, but it also made me laugh and awww. I really enjoyed this book.

One thing that I felt would have made this book a lot stronger is if the reader was able to meet June before her death, or to be shown flashbacks with her in them. While Harper's grief over her sister's death was depressing, I never really felt a connection with June and therefore never felt all that sad about her death and I didn't really like her. I just thought she was selfish for commiting suicide and hurting her family like she did.

I also really really really disliked Harper's mom and her aunt. I thought they were horrible. I could not believe how they treated Harper. I mean, really, who treats their kids that way? Ugh. I wanted to yell at them through the whole book. You should not make your kid feel horrible and guilty because the other one commited suicide. Obviously that is just wrong on so many levels.

But besides that, I really liked this book. I always love road trip books. I like how they always have a focus on music, and cultures, and places. And while this was no Amy and Roger's Epic Detour (the book in which I compare all road trip books), it was definitely good.

My rating: 8/10

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED Saving June, but I agree that there should've been more of a connection to June with Harper. I haven't read Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, but I own it and I plan to read it soon:)
    Great review!
    Danna

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.