Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Flash Burnout by LK Madigan


Flash Burnout by L.K. Madigan
published by Houghton Mifflin
321 pages
$16 (hardback)

FTC: I bought this book and will not be compensated for reviewing it.

What it's about:
Click
Fifteen-year-old Blake has a girlfriend and a friend who's a girl. One of them loves him, the other one needs hiim.
Click.
He snapped a picture of a street person for his photography homework; Blake never dreamed that the woman in the photo was his friend Marissa's long-lost meth-addicted mom.

Click.
Blake's participation in the ensuing drama opens up a world of trouble, both for him and for Marissa. He spends the next few months trying to reconcile the conflicting roles of boyfriend and friend.

Click.
In a tangle of life and death, love and loyalty, comedy and tragedy, Blake will emerge with a more sharply defined snapshot of himself.

My thoughts:
In this story, the reader is in the head of 15 year old Blake Hewson. This is how I always imagined it would be like being inside a guys head, simple. Blake doesn't have very meny complicated thoughts and really lives life one day at a time. I found myself loving the absolute simpleness of his thoughts. There was not a lot of analysing and whining commentary. I fell in love with the voice of the story within the first few pages. It made me want to sit down and read the whole story in one sitting.

The characters are all very likable and I couldn't help but get annoyed at Blake towards the end. My favorite character was actually his mother. While she played a small role, I loved the contrast between her and Marissa's mother.

This was a short, cute story of what in the world do you do when stuck in a complicated situation. How do you control your relationships with your friendships and Blake finding out that nothing is ever that simple.

My rating: 9/10 just because I have too many questions left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.