Saturday, April 12, 2014

Review: The Winner's Curse



The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
Published March 4th 2014 by Farrar Straus Giroux
$17.99 (US hardback)
355 pages

What it's about:
Winning what you want may cost you everything you love 

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. 

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. 

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined. 

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.

My thoughts:
I heard nothing but good things about this book, so when I found a copy of it for cheap, I made sure to buy it.

It seemed to me that most of the rave reviews were worth it. I was immediately drawn into this book, and managed to read it in two sittings, in two days. I think the pages were either smaller than normal, or the font bigger, because this seemed like a very fast read.

My biggest (and only problem, really) with this book was lack of descriptions. I would have liked to have known more details. For instance, we don't get a description of what Kestrel looks like until the end when Arin mentions her bright hair. Maybe I some how missed this (I've been known to do that) and it did say what she looked like, but I don't think it did. I also would have liked to have known a little more about the time period and location. Background information! I wanted it.

Other than that, I loved this book. I loved Kestrel. She is so sneaky! She blackmails, she manipulates, she's all around kind of an unpleasant girl. Yet I liked her, probably for all those reasons. I like my leading ladies a little darker. And Arin seemed like a pretty cool guy as well. Wish we could have heard more of his side.

I think my favorite part of the whole book, is the fact there there isn't a good side, or a bad side. It shows both sides of war and makes you feel for everyone. There is just the facts. It tore me up. I felt bad for everyone. Ah, well, some could say there is an actual "bad" side, so I guess that is up to you to decide. Actually, I would really love to know know if you have read the book, how you view that option.

My rating: 4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.