Friday, February 22, 2013

Review: Obsidian

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published by Entangled Teen
Genre: YA sci-fi
$9.99 (US paperback)
361 pages
 
What it's about:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


My thoughts:
I've seen these books around for a while, how could I not? They are always shoved in my face. But because they are about aliens, I was avoiding reading them. Then last week I noticed that my library has ordered copies of all of Jennifer L. Armentrout's books and decided to put a hold on Obsidian. I was also iffy about reading it cause I'm a little tired on the whole super-hott-but-complete-douche main guy. But when my copy came in from the library and I noticed that the average Goodreads rating is over 4.50, I decided to read it.

IT WAS SO GOOD!

For starters, I adored Katy. Maybe it's because she is an obsessive book blogger and completely normal, or maybe it was because she was hilarious. I just adored her. Katy knew that Daemon's looks is what fueled a lot of her attraction to him and wasn't fooled by it. Yet she was. How can you not do what Daemon asks? The only thing about Katy that I can't stand is how she is trying to prove that she is equal with Daemon all the time. Okay, I get it, you don't like feeling weak, but come on, he has super powers. You just aren't equal to him when it comes to fighting bad guys.

This was one of those series that honestly, the plot isn't fantastic, and the writing could be better, yet the book is like literary crack. Once you start reading, you have to keep going. I read the first three books in the series in a matter of three or four days. I could not get enough. I would have to say that it felt like a mix of Twilight and Mortal Instruments. Has a relationship between a human girl and a super hott, paranormal boy. It's a bad romance, but you adore the boy because he is so hott and cocky and just can't help yourself.

My rating: 9/10

1 comment:

  1. I tried to read this one and couldn't get into it. Everyone loves it, though, so I'm thinking maybe it was a mood thing. I just felt like it was the same old story, you know?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.