Sunday, February 24, 2013

Review: Amber House

Amber House by Kelly Moore, and Tucker and Larkin Reed
Published by Arthur A. Levine Books
Genre: YA
$17.99 (US hardback)
368 pages
 
 
What it's about:
"I was sixteen the first time my grandmother died . . ."

Sarah Parsons has never seen Amber House, the grand Maryland estate that's been in her family for three centuries. She's never walked its hedge maze nor found its secret chambers; she's never glimpsed the shades that haunt it, nor hunted for lost diamonds in its walls.

But all of that is about to change. After her grandmother passes away, Sarah and her friend Jackson decide to search for the diamonds--and the house comes alive. She discovers that she can see visions of the house's past, like the eighteenth-century sea captain who hid the jewels, or the glamorous great-grandmother driven mad by grief. She grows closer to both Jackson and a young man named Richard Hathaway, whose family histories are each deeply entwined with her own. But when the visions start to threaten the person she holds most dear, Sarah must do everything she can to get to the bottom of the house's secrets, and stop the course of history before it is cemented forever.



My thoughts:
This was one of those books that when I finished it, I hopped on facebook and wrote this:

Just finished reading one of those books that leaves you going "wtf just happened??? What did I just read! I need the next book right now!" *goes onto Goodreads to see when next book comes out* "December?!?!? But I need it now! Hey look, the author lives in Oregon... maybe I should pay her a visit..." hahaha
 
This book. Man, this book. It was pretty cool. Amber House is this crazy big house with all these rooms being added on throughout hundreds of years, always owned by the same family. And all the women in this family have this gift to see what has happened in this house throughout history. Touch something and it's like you are back in time, watching it all happen.
 
That really was the best part of the book. Seeing all the different things that happened in Amber house. Sure the characters were pretty likable (oh man is Sam adorable!) but it was all about the plot. Very interesting and different. I can't wait to get my hands on the second book.
 
My rating: 8/10

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a book I would love to read:) Love the cover:)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.