Friday, October 5, 2012

Review: Whispers at Moonrise by CC Hunter


Whispers at Moonrise by CC Hunter
Series: Shadow Falls #4
Published by St. Martin's Griffin
Genre: YA paranormal
$9.99 (US paperback)
 
What it's about:
Shadow Falls Camp is back in session with the most explosive installment yet. A shocking new threat will rock Shadow Falls—changing it forever and altering Kylie’s journey in ways she never imagined.

Even at a camp for supernatural teens, Kylie Galen has never been normal. Not only can she see ghosts, but she doesn’t seem to belong to any one species—she exhibits traits from them all. As Kylie struggles to unlock the secrets of her identity, she begins to worry that Lucas will never be able to accept her for what she is, and what she isn’t…a werewolf. With his pack standing in their way, Kylie finds herself turning more and more to Derek, the only person in her life who’s willing to accept the impossible.

As if life isn’t hard enough, she starts getting visits from the ghost of Holiday, her closest confidante. Trouble is, Holiday isn’t dead…not yet anyway. Now Kylie must race to save one of her own from an unseen danger before it’s too late—all while trying to stop her relationship with Lucas from slipping away forever. In a world of constant confusion, there’s only one thing Kylie knows for sure. Change is inevitable and all things must come to an end…maybe even her time at Shadow Falls.
.
 

My thoughts:
I have a few things I want to say about this book. Don't worry, they won't be gushers about how much I love the characters, settings, and so on. Those reviews will be found in my first three reviews for the other books in the series.

First thing I want to say. This is the 4th book in the series (and thankfully not the last), so while I'll try to not post spoilers, there very well might be spoilers to the other books in the series. If you have not read the first 3 books, I wouldn't recommend finishing this review. Just warning you.

Second thing. The love triangle. Oh that damn love triangle between Kylie, Lucas, and Derek. I follow CC's blog and she has asked lots of questions to her readers, one being which team are you on, Lucas or Derek. About 85% (if not more) of us said Lucas. I personally think that this was sort of shocking for CC by some of the comments she made in that post and I believe that is who she plans on having Kylie be with. Since there really aren't many team Derek people out there, during most of WaM I felt that CC was trying to sway people away from Lucas to being team Derek. Lucas's actions didn't seem to fit in with how he acted in the first 3 books and some of the situations with him were just a little ridiculous. It felt a little forced and that tainted my views of this book. I couldn't really get over it the whole time I was reading.

One thing that I really enjoy about this series and also kinda bugs me is that you are thrown right into it. The first sentence of this book is literally the next sentence from the last paragraph in the last book. There is no rehashing of what happened in the last book (well, there is some, but not like how most books do it) so you really need to remember what happened in the previous books. This is a good thing if you are reading all the books right in a row. You don't have all those pesky reminders you know are only there to help the reader to remember what happened constantly getting in the way. But this is sort of a problem when you are reading the next book after waiting 6+ months for the next book to come out. Overall though, I love how CC Hunter trusts the readers to remember what previously happened.

WaM definitely has a different tone than the three previous books in the series. Poor Kylie just has everything piling up on her. While I found one (maybe 2) of the plots of this book pretty forced and not all that necessary (and NEVER explained. Pissed me off that did), I still really enjoyed the book as a whole and cannot wait till the 5th and final book of the series comes out April 2013.

My rating: 9/10

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've heard of this series. Sigh! I'm off to Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.