Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Review: Eve and Adam

Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate
Published by Feiwel & Friends
Genre: YA sci-fi
$17.99 (US hardback)
291 pages
 
What it's about:
 
And girl created boy…

In the beginning, there was an apple—

And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal.

Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy.

Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?
 


My thoughts:
I read a few reviews for this and a couple of them said that the book was funny and not all down in the dumps like it could be. I don't really agree with this because I feel the word "funny" doesn't fit this book. I can see what they mean, the book is a little more light-hearted than one would expect, but I wouldn't say it was funny.

Going into this, I thought it would be more psychological and less action. I thought it would be more about Eve creating Adam and all the decisions one would have to make when creating a person. How do you decide what traits to give a person? Not just physical but mental as well. How do you decide what to make a person? This takes up very little time in the book and is only a part 2 of the story plot. The book is told mostly from Eve and Solo's POVs and a little of Adam at the end. While we are in both Eve and Solo's heads, we never really get to know them. Their personalities are just skimmed and not in depth. I had a hard time believing both of their feelings. They were just lonely, misunderstood, horny teens. That's about it. We never get to know much else about them. Sad really.

This is an incredibly fast read. The book is less than 300 pages and has a giant font. I would have liked to see this book be about double in size and had much more in depth characters and plots. This book could have been fantastic but it fell short. I wasn't really wanting some weird sci-fi action flick, I wanted sci-fi drama.

My rating: 7/10

1 comment:

  1. I've heard mixed reviews about this one. The concept definitely intrigues me, but I hear a lot of people saying that it wasn't carried off very well. I think it's going to be one of those books I'll have to read for myself to really see.

    Great review, and I appreciate your comments and thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.