Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Review: Shadowspell

Shadowspell by Jenna Black
Published by St. Martin's Griffin
Genre: YA
$9.99 (US paperback)
295 pages

What it's about:
On top of spending most of her time in a bunkerlike safe house and having her dates hijacked by a formidable Fae bodyguard, Faeriewalker Dana Hathaway is in for some more bad news: the Erlking and his pack of muderous minions known as the Wild Hunt have descended upon Avalon. With is homicidal appetite and immortal powers, the Erlking has long been the nightmare of the Fae realm. A fragile treaty with the Faerie Queen, sealed with a mysterious spell, is the one thing that keeps him from hunting unchecked in Avalon, the only place on Earth where humans and Fae live together. Which means Dana's in trouble, since it's common knowledge that the Faerie Queen wants her--and her rare Faeriewalker powers--dead. The smoldering, sexy Erlking's got his sights set on Dana, but does he only seek to kill her, or does he have something much darker in mind?

My thoughts:
I know that for my review of Glimmerglass, I said I really enjoyed the book. Yet while I was going back and thinking of it, it wasn't high up on my list. It wasn't a book that stuck out above the rest. I couldn't even remember most of the characters names. This is why I  was surprised at myself that I went and got Shadowspell the week it came out and read it in two sittings. I honestly didn't think I was all that excited for this book.

I'm glad I read it. There is just something about the characters in these books that I love, even if I don't remember their names a few months after reading the book. They are so...realistic, even for being fae. Not a single one of the characters is perfect, especially the love interest, Ethan. He might look perfect, yet he has done lots of things to lose Dana's trust. He would be a horrible boyfriend, YET you can't help but sort of root for him and Dana to get together. There is just something there.

This story really is all about the characters. Sure there is a plot, and it's a good one, but it's not really what keeps me interested in this series. I love how Dana is always changing and taking everyone by surprise, how Ethan is a jerk and yet you still kinda love him, and then there is now the Erlking. I actually loved his character. How he is the big scary bad guy, yet you end up liking him as well, even if he is chopping off everyone's heads. I can't wait to see what will happen with his character.

My rating: 10/10
If a book makes me want to read it in one sitting (which this one did, but I had to force myself to put it down and go to bed) then it deserves a 10/10.


1 comment:

  1. Liking the guy who cuts off people's heads? Interesting...but glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.