Sunday, May 20, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions-- Memes


Book Blogger Confessions is a meme that posts the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month, where book bloggers "confess" and vent about topics that are unique to us. Feel free to share, vent and offer solutions. BBC is hosted by For What It's Worth

 Question for Monday May 21st:

Memes. Love em or hate em? How many do you participate in? Which kinds do you like best? Do you feel like there are too many?


I personally love memes. I've noticed that on almost all blogs that the posts with the most comments and activities are the meme posts. I think that when people have a set date and a set topic, people are more likely to post and to make it entertaining. It can be hard to come up with ideas on what to post about and to make it interesting enough to get people to stop and read it. But when you have something like "Top Ten Tuesday" in your header, readers are more likely to stop and take a look.

I participate in Top Ten Tuesdays and My Book Boyfriend. That is normally it and now I'm also doing this one. I love TTT because it has me thinking about past books I've read, or quotes I love, or my personal favorite I think was the pick a theme song for books post. It really had me thinking and I loved seeing the songs people thought fit books. It said a lot about the reader and the books all at once. MBB is also great because that is a smaller meme and it's almost always the same people posting each week. There is just something about small memes that are more fun. Plus this meme is full of hott guys. What's not to love about that? I love seeing people take an idea or topic, and make it their own. Seeing all the different interpretations. It's fascinating.

There are also memes out there that I really dislike. The main one being In My Mailbox. When I used to surf blogs on Sundays, all I'd see are IMM posts. That is all anyone seems to post on Sundays and this is why I have stopped checking blogs on that day. I find the IMM posts to be people bragging over what Arcs they've got recently. I know it's exciting when you get a new arc, especially if it's a highly anticipated book, but I don't want to read about you bragging about getting it. When I look at those posts, all I see in the comments are "OMG I'm so jealous!!!!!" That to me is...pointless. What is the point in posts in which all anyone is going to tell you is that they are jealous of you? I also do not really care what books you've got this week, I care about what you thought of the books.

Even though there are memes I dislike, for the most part I really do love memes. I just hope that bloggers don't try and do all of them and clog up their blogs. Maybe pick 2 or 3 and have fun with them.

7 comments:

  1. I love the Top Ten Tuesday's even though I've never participated. I always find so many good book recommendations from those posts and I think they tel you al lot about the blogger.
    IMM's never bothered me. I get bored reading that many in one day but I think it's yet another way to promote books and authors. When I did participate I never went through the 100's on blogs linked because we all seemed to be getting the same books and really how many ways can you say "great books" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha very true. "fantastic books!" "Good books!" "great books!" There are only about 3 ways to say it. ;)

      Delete
  2. I've tried some memes, and I think I'm comfortable with the few I participate in now. I never did the IMM posts --- it's just not something I was ever that interested in, personally, and I admit that I don't usually read IMM posts on the blogs I follow, either. I like memes that generate a bit of discussion, so I stick with those (and my wordless wednesdays).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's wordless wednesdays? I'm definitely going to have to look that up.

      Delete
  3. I actually don't agree that the IMM posts are for bragging. Well, I'm sure some people just want to brag but for me, personally, it's just to share my excitement with others. Nobody in ''real life'' cares in the slightest what books I got this week so it's cool when other people tell me which ones they enjoyed and which I should read REALLY SOON etc. Most of the books I show are ones I bought or got free on Amazon anyway. I love seeing other peoples IMMs (or whatever meme they use now) too as it creates a fun buzz and I find loads of new books. :)

    I don't do any other memes though as I found my readers are most interested in seeing my reviews so I try to post one nearly every day or every other day.

    Great answer- it's interesting seeing what everyone else thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally agree that the most comments come from meme posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never participated in a meme before although it could really REALLY help with my blog post count. I do have fun reading some of the meme posts though.

    I think with IMM, I've never participated not because I don't/didn't want to, but because I live in another country (not US/Canada), I don't get a lot of books sent to me. I only get what I buy, what I win (very rarely), or the very occasional RAK book. So I really have nothing to post in that meme. It's really sad I think.

    BBC sounds like lots of fun! So thanks for today's post!

    I might try joining a meme or two sometime. Wish me luck! And thanks for having TTT and MBB!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! I'm always checking to see if I have any new comments. It's actually pretty sad how often I check for them really. So if there is anything you want to say about a post of mine, please say it! I want feedback :)

As of lately, I'm making the blog a no-award blog. I love getting them and I'm always honored, but I don't have the time to do all the things that are required of them. Sorry :(
Also, my "reply" button does not seem to be working in my comments on my computer. I have to use a different computer to reply back so if I don't reply, it's not because I'm rude, it's just that I can't.